Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Verily, Verily, I Say Unto You: Just a Little Word...or...Two.


Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.  For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. John 3:3-17 (KJV)
I have experienced periods of silence many times during my life, periods when no words would come. It is distressing for a writer to have nothing to write. I had been suffering writer’s block and there was a long period between my last essay and this at the time it was written.
So I wanted to ease back into the water with just a word.
In John 3, Jesus said several times, "verily, verily". Actually, Jesus didn't say "verily". That is an old English word used by the translators of the King James Version. The translation was hardly necessary for the word Jesus spoke is still used today across the world in many languages every day. It is a Hebrew word that transcended the transliteration through Greek and Latin and has been said by us all at one time or another and quite often and regularly by some of us, although we don't usually put it where Jesus did, at the beginning of our statement.
The word is amen.
Every time we hear a prayer we hear amen as the last word. We have heard it that way so often many people probably think it means "the end". We probably think after the last scene of ancient Jewish movies a black screen with the block letters AMEN appeared and we all went home.
It doesn't mean the end, but when it comes at the end it means, "so be it" or "so may it be". We in the church pretty much follow the custom  as used in the synagogues. In those, after a discourse and solemn prayer was read or said, those assembled would respond "amen". This is more than just confirming the message; this is taking it as one's own.
But Jesus didn't wait until the end to say it. He started off with, "Amen, amen". Didn't he know better?
Sure he did. It was a word when used at the beginning had a slightly different meaning. It meant, "this is a truth", "truly" or "surely". Jesus doubled it up. What he was saying is, "this is the truth of all truths". 
Amen, amen, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit." John 3:5 (NIV)
Sometimes we Christians disagree on interpretation of some passages. But in John 3 we have Jesus giving us the truth of all truths and we cannot disagree on this and call ourselves Christians.
We cannot accommodate the wishes of the world either and downplay what Christ has said. These are amen, amen statements. People who believe otherwise judge Christians as judgmental and narrow minded as they insist we must believe as they do. But then if we would not hold to these principles, we would not be Christians. I am not intolerant of other's beliefs. I do not wish to force them to have my views. You can't force faith on anyone. I am not judgmental of anyone because I don't know their heart. However, I don't keep my belief to myself, because I love them and wish them no harm -- ever and because the Lord commanded us to do so.
Amen, amen, I am narrow-minded because the path is narrow and few find it. I am narrow-minded because there is Christ and no other. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment