Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Being Christian


1
IT ISN’T EASY BEING…



"I am not insane, most excellent Festus," Paul replied. "What I am saying is true and reasonable. The king is familiar with these things, and I can speak freely to him. I am convinced that none of this has escaped his notice, because it was not done in a corner. King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know you do."
Then Agrippa said to Paul, "Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?"
Paul replied, "Short time or long—I pray God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains." Acts 26:25-29

I use to have a friend named Aberdeem. He was living at Cedar Lane Missionary Homes when I knew him. He was an Arab, but he couldn't safely return to his native country or to his family, because he had a price on his head. If he went home, he could be killed. What was his crime? He was a Christian. I don't know what happened to him since. The last I saw him, he and his wife were departing to France as missionaries bringing the Gospel to the Muslim enclave in Paris.
Just this month a leading Christian Church leader, Zhang Mingxuan, was arrested, his property confiscated and his life threatened, not for the first time. It isn't easy being Christian in China.
Compared to many parts of the world, being Christian in the United States is a piece of cake. It may not always be so. In fact, since I read my Bible, I know it won't always be so. Someday being openly Christian will be a death-defying act. 
Despite the relative freedom to express one's views here, it still isn't easy being a blatant and unashamed Christian in our society.  There are a number of expressions we Christians use and actions we take that others sometimes don't understand or get outright angry about. Yet as Christians, I don't think we can get around saying and doing such things.
I thought maybe I would do a few posts from my own viewpoint on this "Born Again stuff, that just don't make sense", and why we are "so intolerant and exclusive" and how come we won't "keep our belief to ourselves" and how we dare "say somebody is a sinner and going to Hell" and why we say "you can't call Jesus just a good guy".  
I'll try to keep things simple in the posts that follow. 
I just want to leave this introduction with a couple of thoughts.
First, you are free to believe whatever you want. No one can force Christianity on you. Yeah, I know, people have tried that in the past. They were wrong to try because force doesn't work. If I stuck a gun to your head and told you to say you believed in Jesus Christ or I'd pull the trigger, and you said, "I believe in Jesus Christ", it doesn't make you a Christian. It just means you didn't want to die. It does makes me a terrorist, who deep down probably isn't really a Christian either. 
Also, don't complain that I write about God. I want people to read my posts, but nothing is making anyone read what I write. There are millions of Blogs out there. If you don't like mine, you can find some you do like elsewhere. There is nothing about my Blog to trick you into reading it. My bias is pretty clear right from the git-go. The subtitle is "Musings and ruminations of my personal journey to God". I know that doesn't narrow it down to Christianity, but a quick perusal of my post titles and the Statement of Faith some where down the right column will pretty much cinch where I'm coming from. 
Don't expect me to claim I'm absolutely right about all things. I'm learning as I go, too.  Nor am I pure as the driven snow. I know full well what a sinner I am and although I have never been into bumper-sticker philosophy, there is one I agree with: "Christians aren't Perfect - Just Forgiven".
Now, I have heard some people claim Christians are telling them to go to Hell. I don't know of any true Christian who would ever tell you to go to Hell. What we are trying to tell you is don't go to Hell. The last thing a Christian wants is for anyone to go to Hell. We don't want you to go to Hell because we love you.  That's right, we love you -- we may not like you a lot-- but as one of God's fellow creatures, we do love you and we want you to go to Heaven.
Sorry if loving you and wishing you well offends you, but that goes with being Christian.  I'll talk more about what it means in my mind being "one-of-those" Christians in my next posts.  
By the way, the verses that opened this post are one of only two passages where the word Christian appears in the Bible. The other is in Acts 11:
Now those who had been scattered by the persecution in connection with Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus and Antioch, telling the message only to Jews. Some of them, however, men from Cyprus and Cyrene, went to Antioch and began to speak to Greeks also, telling them the good news about the Lord Jesus. The Lord's hand was with them, and a great number of people believed and turned to the Lord. News of this reached the ears of the church at Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch.When he arrived and saw the evidence of the grace of God, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts. He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord. Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch. Acts 11:19-26
2
BEING MYSELF IS NOT BEING…




Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:17-18
Being myself is not being Christian. What does that mean? Am I saying I'm a phony? Is it a matter of being a Christian on Sunday and my real self the rest of the week? Am I a hypocrite?
No, not at all. 
I don't put on a halo to go to church. I don't have a halo. What I have is a human nature and my human nature just loves itself. Myself wants what it wants for its self. Myself is full of selfish ambition and vain conceit. Myself wants to wear a T-shirt saying "I'm looking out for Numero Uno and Numero Uno is me and I'm proud of it". Myself wants to be one of those guys who say "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing and I'll always be a winner and you'll never be higher than second place and thus a loser." Myself wants to shout, "I'm me and you're not". Myself doesn't want to believe in God, it wants to be god. In other words, myself is a damned fool.
Literally a damned fool I was. 
Once.
That's because once Myself thought it had the field all to it self. Maybe it did, but it was blind to the fact the field was surrounded by a high fence that kept me a prisoner in my own little weedy backyard. Myself didn't know a world of Roses and Lilies, only Dandelions it could pluck when they turned white and blow their seed to infest the yard. Myself knew only the nuisance of the Sweetgum and not the sweetness of the Fig Tree and thought this was just fine.
And even if Myself sometimes felt somehow trapped, what could be done about it? Occasionally Myself had a sense there was a fence, but knew he couldn't climb over it because it was too high.
But one day Myself skidded and fell on some Sweetgum nuts and banged his head against that fence. It moved. When that fence was erected, its Creator put in one loose plank to allow escape. It wasn't easy to find. But once found one could escape the fence, if one just reached out and accepted the plank was loose enough to push through the narrow opening.
Myself didn't think it was possible. Myself wanted to forget it and get up and blow some more Dandelion seeds in the air. But something said there is much more beyond the fence if you're willing to admit the Sweetgums and Dandelions aren't all that great or good for you and accept this escape.
So I crawled through the fence and suddenly Myself wasn't alone in me. There was Myspirit as well.
Myself and Myspirit don't get along real well. they bicker and argue all the time. Fortunately for me, Myspirit usually wins. Granted, Myself sometimes makes an end run and leaves Myspirit behind temporarily. But Myspirit always catches up and keeps me from getting hurt falling on another Sweetgum. Now I want to sow Lilly and Rose seeds in the world for the enjoyment of my neighbors, not just spread Dandelions for my own pleasure.
Granted, Myspirit is like my muscles. I have to perform some exercises regularly to make it stronger. Myself isn't completely knocked out yet, but Myspirit is working Myself over pretty well. I know the battle won't be over until the last bell sounds on my life, but I want Myspirit to be way ahead on Rounds.
You see, I don't want Myself to be the center of attention. I want Myself to be like a black backing on a mirror, a mirror that when gazed at doesn't show me my own face to either fret over or admire, but one that reflects Christ all the time. I don't want to be bragging about my accomplishments, but reflecting what God accomplishes using me.
I'm not completely there yet. I have a ways to go. Myself still jumps in my path too much. But Myspirit is working on my muscles and I'm not tripping over Myself quite as often. 

Please be a coach and pray for Myspirit. I will pray for yours anyway.

3
JOINING THE SS IS BECOMING…


 "There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one. Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit. The poison of vipers is on their lips. Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness. Their feet are swift to shed blood; ruin and misery mark their ways, and the way of peace they do not know." There is no fear of God before their eyes."

Adam and Eve did not have to seek God. He was already there when they were created. They had a nice cozy relationship going, much like we had with our parents as children. Our early life was very similar in many ways. For most of us, our needs were met, our food was provided, we felt loved and safe. We may have had some chores about the house. We also were given some rules, things our parents insisted we didn't do. But we probably did some anyway and hoped they never found out. Most times they did.
What if our parents weren't home and we had done something we shouldn't and suddenly heard our parents come. And to make it worse, we were naked.
The first thing, we would probably grab anything to cover ourselves. Then we'd try to play innocent and when that didn't work, perhaps we'd blame someone else.
Our parents wouldn't be fooled for a moment. They'd tell us to put on some clothes and then dole out our punishment. The worse part of all, trust would be lost and our relationship to our parents would be different from that point. 
There is something about being naked in certain situations. It has nothing to do with sex. It is a feeling of vulnerability, of being exposed and humiliated.
Adams and Eve had broken trust with their parent and felt vulnerable in their nakedness because all about them was exposed, their crime, their guilt, their shame. They didn't seek God now either. They feared his coming. They tried inadequately to cover both their bodies and their guilt and failed in both. God provided covering for both and it changed everything. The covering required the shedding of blood and the death of an innocent animal. Pain and suffering resulted from their misdeed. And from that point man and woman dressed in skins that reminded them that though created in the image of God, they had descended to a level with animals.
Sin had begun and Mankind was driven from the Garden. A fence was being constructed. Mankind added sin to sin and plank by plank the fence was made. A sinful person cannot come face to face with the Holy God and live. There was a barrier between God and his creature.
Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.
We have a dilemma. We have a fence between us and God. We cannot communicate with God through the fence. Even if we spend hours on our knees praying, we will receive no answer as long as we fail to recognize we sin. 
We don't like that word sin. It's insulting, offensive. We rationalize it away, say what we do doesn't hurt anyone or isn't nearly as bad as what some do or everybody does it or nobody is perfect. Much of this is true from a worldly view. There are some things everybody does, such as lying occasionally. 
Does majority behavior make it right? Is theft less wrong because someone else stole more than you did? Is someone less guilty of theft because they stole less than you? You have it correct that no one is perfect, but does the fact that others commit wrongs make the wrongs you commit right?
And what makes you so sure the things you do don't hurt anyone?  Running stop signs doesn't hurt anyone unless one day you hit someone as a result. If what we do doesn't hurt someone it is more a matter of luck than reality and the odds are not in your favor. And remember if you are rationalizing a behavior with the statement it doesn't hurt anyone, it means you know you are doing something you shouldn't.
Of course here we have been thinking in terms of worldly laws and deportment. If I show up at a black-tie affair in a tuxedo and white sox it may be considered a breach of decorum, but it is not a sin, even if someone remarks, "he showed up wearing white sox, what a sin." The Law that makes us conscious of sin is God's Law and sin is disobedience of God's will and commandments.
So some are sighing in relief because they are Atheists and don't believe in any god, big or small G. If sin is disobedience to God and there is no God than they cannot sin. Very true if they are right and there is no God; however, if there is a God than they have sinned by disbelief. But even if they believe there is no God and no such thing as sin, they surely must recognize there are some things they do that just shouldn't be done.
Agnostics have all kinds of problems, but that is a large subject suitable to its own post.
Those who do believe in a god or gods may acknowledge the existence of sin, but still may resist recognizing it as a force in their own life, that sin dominates their way of thinking and that they have a fence around them that barricades them from God. They may be told they are a sinner. They may even know they are a sinner and it is destroying their peace of mind, but think, there is no hope, they can't help it.
Like an alcoholic who is pouring his or her life out with the whiskey in the bottle, yet longs to be sober, but remains a slave to drink, a sinner may long to be free, but can't break through the fence. Is there hope.
An alcoholic can go to AA (Alcoholics Anonymous). To truly begin an escape from drink they must accept the First Step:  "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable."
This is the first and hardest step to salvation. We must admit we are powerless over sin - that our lives have become slaves to it.  This is a very difficult admission for us, but a necessary one if we ever hope for a relationship with God and His Forgiveness. If we will not admit we are each a sinner we cannot go any further.
Yet, to reach God we must join SS.



The ferocious picture that illustrated this piece is actually a detail from a less frightening
photo. Here it is on an amusement ride on a pier at the Wildwoods, New Jersey. The three kids entering the ride are mine in 1993. The boy in black is my son, Darryl, the girl in the white pants is Laurel, my oldest and the tall blond is my middle child, Noelle. The were 11, 15 and 12 at the time.











4
TAKING THE NARROW PATH IS BECOMING…



 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” Matthew 7:14

Before I became an SS member, I didn't see any fence. I believed I was a free man with no barrier to impede where I was going.   In actuality, I was not free and there was a barrier, however; there wasn't anything impeding where I was going because I was going to Hell.  Some might say, hey, one outta three ain't bad! Yeah, a .333 batting average is great for baseball, not so good in the game of eternity.
I called myself an Atheist in those days, so I didn't believe in Hell. Didn't like the word sin, silly word. Oh, I accepted there were rules and some were very good and should be obeyed. I didn't think it was okay to murder someone for instance. Stealing was a bad thing, relatively speaking. It wasn't right to go holdup a store. But if you bought something at the store and the clerk gave you change for a twenty when you had paid with a ten, it wasn't stealing to pocket the change. Too bad, their mistake, this would teach them to be more careful. It wasn't stealing to take home some office supplies from where I worked. They would never miss a few little items out of stock, besides they owed me for the extra I gave them on the job. 
Bending rules wasn't sin. Rules were just guidelines. Cops aren't going to pull you over if your just a few miles above the speed limit. When I was 13 shoplifting "Girlie" magazines from the newsstand, hey, what was I suppose to do. I didn't want to steal, I wanted to pay for them, but they wouldn't sell such magazines to someone my age. I had to steal them. It was their fault.
(When I got caught and the store owner told me what he was going to do with those magazines if he ever caught me stealing again [funny how he called it stealing] I stopped stealing...anything. See, threat of punishment is a deterrent to some. But that is a discussion for another Post.)
Most of what I did didn't seem really wrong. It might be frowned upon by some, but what they didn't know wouldn't hurt me, now would it. And besides, what I did was my private business and it didn't hurt them either. 
Somehow I didn't think what some minister was preaching from his pulpit was his private business. I didn't want someone telling me I couldn't go watch a live nude dancer at a "Art Theater", but I thought it was just fine and dandy for me to go tell a preacher what he could say in his own church. 
Why was I always getting angry enough at pastors to make the effort to confront them? 
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8
I think I was seeking and knocking. When I went and had these arguments with these ministers, I was hoping one of them would win the argument and prove me wrong. I said I was an Atheist, then why was I reading Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible. If I denied the existence of God, of Heaven and of Hell, shouldn't I have been denying the existence of the Devil as well? Why was I filling my library with every book written to disclaim Christianity: the Passover Plot, Chariots of the Gods, The Death of God, etc.?
Why had I published "God Resurrected" in response to the "God is Dead" movement? Why was I creating my own theology if I didn't believe in Theos? Was I trying to convince others I was right or prove to myself I was wrong?
But then God knocked on my door with the heartbeats of a baby. I tripped over the narrow path and this led me to confront the fence and the small gate. I had come to the second step to SS. It is similar to the second step of Alcohol Anonymous:  Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
I started to realize my behavior had hurt others. I had hurt my mother with my attacks on her pastor. I had hurt my wife with my addiction to pornography. I had come to a belief in God. I stood at the gate, but I still had to find the key to going through the hole in the fence and becoming a SS member. 

I know, I know, I still haven't said what SS means. I promise I'll eventually say. 



5
TELLING OF THE FENCE HOLE IS BEING…



Mark 4:11-12; Matthew 13:11-17; Luke 8:9
His disciples asked him what this parable meant.
He replied [and] told them, " The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but not to them. Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. This is why I speak to them in parables: 
Though seeing, they do not see; 
though hearing, they do not hear or understand. In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding; 
you will be ever seeing but never perceiving’. 
For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them. But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables so that they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!”




Back several years, when Tucker was a young dog, he kept escaping from the yard. This seemed nearly impossible, how could he do it? Not only was our yard completely surrounded by shrubbery, I had erected a wire fence behind the bushes and trees from the pillar of our house to its post. The fence is green and it is nearly invisible to the naked eye. None the less it existed.
But there he would be, running wild and free through the streets with a gleeful smile, laughing as I attempted to chase him down.
I inspected the yard more than once and found no gaps. There was no possibility of him jumping the fence. My only chance to find his escape route was to catch him in the act. But he was a shrewd and cunning creature. I would let him out, then watch through the glass of the door. He would trot to the center of the yard, then look back, study the house, see me watching and be content to stay where he stood. 
After a while I would tire and leave him to his business. Minutes later I would be chasing him around the block. 
I had to go stealth. One day I left him out and walked away from the door. I ran around to the dining room, snuck to the rear windows in a crouch, and peeked out a corner just over the sill. He was studying the house and thought me gone. A moment passed, he peered back again and then trotted quickly to the right, disappearing behind a large bush. Next I saw his tail wagging across the neighbor's yard, a flag of victory.
He had found a hole in the soft dirt behind the bush and an old log. It was just big enough, with a little clawing, to squeeze his body through under the fence. If he had not led me there, I would have never found it as hidden as it was. It took a while to find it even so and if I hadn't believed it had to be there after he fled across the lot next door, I would have still thought there was no way out.
I, of course, plugged up that escape route.
Someday, God may close up his escape route, but not yet.
God left a hole in the fence erected between us and Him.  You have to find the hole, but first you have to see the fence.
Can you see the fence around my yard in the photos? It's difficult to see standing in my yard, but it is there; it just blends into the shrubbery. It is the same with the fence between mankind and God, some people never notice it. Some don't even look for it, other's deny it is there. There are those who acknowledge the fence, but aren't concerned about it. And there are those who understand the fence, but don't know how to find the escape route.

…for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"  Romans 10:13-15
When you think about it, if you are in the SS you don't have a lot of duties. You are outside the fence and have great freedom. You are not restrained by all the 600 plus points of The Law. You don't have a long list of Do's and Don't you must follow diligently. You don't have to put on a tie when you go to church -- you don't even have to go to church. No, we have only a few commands and we often find them difficult. One of these is to tell people about the club and how to join.  We aren't an exclusive club. We welcome anyone, and would welcome everyone if it were possible.
Those who reject us, those who will not even listen or those who would shut us up altogether mustn’t discourage us. There are those who never hear and never see. But there are those who see the fence and want to escape and they need to hear because their ears have been opened. The problem is we don't always know who those with open ears are. We need to tell all. It isn't our responsibility who is drawn to our club, only that they know where to find the hole in the fence and how to get through it.
I have a fence around my yard. When I erected it I thought it was impenetrable, but there was an escape hole. I would not have found that hole if my dog had not shown the way. In his case, he didn't want me to know. In our case, we want everyone to know even if they hate us for telling them.
And why do we tell them? Because we love them even if they don't care too much for us. After all, many of us were once one of 'them'. It took me a long time to acknowledge the fence, but I'd still be inside it if someone hadn't shown me the escape hole. And once I hated those Bible-thumpers, too.
Now as a Saved Sinner Club member, I find these words very sad: 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding; 
you will be ever seeing but never perceiving’. 
For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.
There are some who may see and may hear. Don't let them down by being silent.

6
SOWING THE SEED IS BEING…



Mark 4:13-20; Matthew 13:18-23; Luke 8:11-15
Then Jesus said to them, "Don't you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable? Listen then, this is the meaning to what the parable of the sower means:
“The seed is the word of God. The farmer [Christians] sows the word.
Some people are like seed along the path When anyone hears the message about the kingdom where the word is sown and does not understand it, as soon as they hear it the evil one, Satan comes and snatches away what was sown in [their] heart and takes away the word that was sown in them, so that they may not believe and be saved. This is the seed sown along the path (those are the ones who hear then the devil comes).
“Others, those on the rock, like seed sown on rocky places, are the one[s] who received the seed that fell on rocky places, the [men] who hear the word and at once receive it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.
“Still others, like seed sown among thorns, the one[s] who received the seed that fell among the thorns, stand for the [men] who hear the word, but as they go on their way the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. They are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.
“But Others, like seed sown on good soil, stand for those with a noble and good heart, the ones who received the seed that fell on good soil [are] the [men] who hear the word, accept it, retain it, and understands it and produce, by persevering, a crop— yielding a thirty, sixty or even a hundred times what was sown." 

When I attended college (I worked all day and went to evening school), one of the courses I was dreading was Speech. But it was a required course and I finally took it during summer session. Once I got my feet wet, it wasn't bad; in fact, I came to enjoy it. It helped to realize all of us students were in the same boat. And eventually we were all going to face the judgment of the professor and either fail or pass, and since it was a required course, you couldn't afford to fail. 
Being the summer session, the class time was twice as long as normal and so we had a break halfway through each evening. We would gather in the hall (some would smoke, it was allowed inside buildings in those ancient days) and encourage each other. 
I guess the transition here is blatently obvious. Living our life is a required course. At the end of the session we will all be judged and either pass of fail. Unlike a college class, there is no do-over. There is no dropping out either. We get our final mark and our final assignment when we die, whether our organs dissolve at 102 years of age or whether we put a gun to our temple at age 21. We are all in the same boat, the problem is all of us don't realize it. Well, how will those who don't know learn that fact if we who know don't tell them. We need to be out in the hallways of life sowing the kernels of truth that will enable others to pass the course. That is all we can do, we can't pass it for them.
THE SOWER
The painting illustrating this piece is "The Sower" (1881) by Vincent Van Gogh. It's getting late in the day, the sun is sinking. There is a field in the background that looks near ready for harvest, but the farmer is still sowing seeds, trying to plant a final crop before night falls. There is a urgency in his pace. The ground is pretty rough and uninviting, a hard path runs down its center, rocks are here and there, and birds follow behind plucking up some of his seed as soon as it falls. 
But the Sower pays no heed to the difficult terrain. He knows the hour is late and he knows there is still some good soil interweaved with the obstacles and the birds will gobble up only the easy pickings. The Sower isn't discouraged by the seed that falls on the rocky and hard ground. He does what he does, which is scattering the seed. This is the farmer we want to be, having heard the word, he accepted it, retained it, and understood it and by persevering is planting a new crop, even though the hour is late.
Pray we aren't the ones among thorns. There are Christians who sprout from the scattered seeds as stalks without corn and vines without grapes. There the farmers kicked back in the distance house worrying over the cost of seed rather than scattering it.
They are like the student who is more interested in doodling in the textbook, than reading it; playing video games to homework; but makes enough effort to slide through the class with a D. We want to be the student who gains the A, or at least a B. So remember this, if you are going to succeed in Speech Class, you have to speak. 
If you are going to raise crops, you have to scatter the seed. 

7
ONE MORE STEP TO BEING…



Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops. My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins. James 5:17-19

There is a rabbit hole in the wall built between God and us. The wall exists for everyone and the rabbit hole does, too. Some claim not to see a wall. I don't think they are blind to it; I think they just deny it. Either way, if you don't see or recognize the wall, you can't find the hole.
Sometimes God has to slap you upside the head before you see both.
I've told in my past posts how he got my attention and led me to the hole.
But even if you recognize the wall, that is admit you sin, and even if you see the hole, that's not the final step. You have to trust the hole is there and it is your only escape.
Many people don't believe that. People think it doesn't matter what you believe, just that you are sincere. I'm sorry, but that is so illogical as to be silly. I could sincerely believe I could take a nap in the middle of an interstate, but it won't stop an 18-wheeler running over my belief system.
A lot of people think they can get beyond the wall by their own effort. There are a great number of religions for one to pick from in this world. As far as I know, they all hand you a shovel to dig your way under the wall between you and God; all but one, anyway, and that is Christianity. Christ didn't hand out a shovel, He just held out His hand to anyone willing to take hold and be pulled through the hole.
A Christian is someone who got to the other side of the hole. They can't pull you though. They can say, hey come on over here the Son shines great, but that is it. You are free to reject the hole or go off searching for a big gate. You can ask what makes us think we're right. What makes you think we aren't? We all are going to die. We can agree on that, can't we? It seems an important question to ask what happens after death? Nothing or something? If something, what? The answer to the question influences the way we live and if we choose the wrong answer, well, the consequence could be very dire.
When I came to that question, a man was talking about Elijah being a man like me. Something in that passage and what was said about it seemed directed at me and two days later I took His hand and went through the hole. I believe in Christ. I have no choice but to tell you Christ is the only way to God. Otherwise, I would be a hypocrite in claiming to be Christian. What you decide to believe is your decision. Just don't say Jesus was a good and wise man, for if He is not the only way to god, then He was a madman at best and a liar at worse.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me." John 14:6
"All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him." Matthew 11:27
"For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:40
"I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life." John 6:47
"I give [my followers] eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one." John 10:28-30
"Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die...'" John 11:25

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blogs and how you just share your heart!! Love you brother!!

    ReplyDelete